Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Thing of the Day: Stalking


Dear Vanderbilt Recreational Facilities,

One would think that if you have televisions at all, you would have some sort of method for the ellipticalling sorority girl to listen to them and not just see them. Perhaps an earplug in the elliptical machines, like real gyms? Or if not, an investment in subtitles for said televisions? In English, and preferably not Spanish, like today. LOST is impossible enough to understand in Ingles, let alone Espanol. After six years of Spanish, I don't even know how to say smoke monster. Actually, I totally do. Monstruo de fuma. Muchas gracias, Stuy High.

Today I discovered a really fun development from my favorite place of all time that is not New York--Scandinavia. Apparently Swedish phones have developed this new technology where you can point your phone at someone's face, take their picture, and have this software scan the internet for their picture so that you can friend them on Facebook, or MySpace, or Friendster (is Friendster still up and running? I really liked it when it was. In 2005 there was a poll on Friendster about most attractive girls at Stuyvesant High School and I think I made it in there somewhere. Ah, to peak in high school...), or Swedish Facebook. It makes connecting online much easier than searching for all the Ben's that go to UMichigan or all the Alex's that attend Indiana, and is aptly named Recognizr. Except it is also the creepiest invention OF ALL TIME. WTF, Technology.

Google Earth is cool. Anything that allows you to know who/where things/people are more than Google Earth is terrifying. This summer, a friend of mine tried to get me to install Google Latitude onto my Blackberry. For those not familiar with Google Latitude, it is a GPS Technology that allows "Latitude Friends" to see where you are at all times. To the street. No thank you, Verizon. I think Google Latitude was probably invented by a scorned housewife, who via intricate skills of gossip spread it to all her friends, who then sold it to Blackberry hook line and sinker. I can only think of how many cheating husbands' lives must have been totally ruined by Google Latitude. Honey, I'm at the office late--wait, no. I'm totally not.

Sometimes, technology is excellent. At other times, its a life ruiner. As someone whose high school "sleepovers at my best friends house!" were totally ruined by Caller ID, I'd go with the latter.
What we don't know can't hurt us...right?
On another note, just as I decided I am officially a Winter Olympics fan, they decided to suck tonight. I don't even know what this sport is...some sort of sledding? Luge? This resembles the ice luges I see at frat parties, so I will go with that. Apparently, it is the most dangerous sport of all time. Meh. Looks boring to me. But luckily, they are thinking of allowing pole dancing to be a sport in the 2012/1016 games, so things are looking up. I had no idea pole dancing was a sport and not a...job, but apparently they have events such as the International Pole Dancing Fitness Competition and those ladies are getting quite rallied up from their exclusion from the Olympic world. Now that I'd watch.

(Excuse the LOLcats. I've been thinking they're really funny lately, but am hoping it will pass).

No comments:

Post a Comment