Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing of the Day: Bill Clinton


Two posts in two days! I must be bored this week. This post will be about as positive as yesterday's was negative. I'm much funnier when I'm being a pessimistic bitch, so consider yourself warned. That being said:

William Jefferson Blythe III Clinton. I love you. I have loved you since your presidency and continued to love you through your not having sex with that woman and strengthened my love for you during that Texan's presidency and I love you unequivocally now. This morning as I got ready for work watching The Today Show as usual (what do I have to do to become Mrs. Matt Lauer? Close runner up: Ann Curry), the live video stream of freed journalists Laura Ling and Euna Lee reuniting with their families after months of imprisonment in North Korea came on and I actually cried. Embarrassingly enough, I cry at The Today Show relatively often (about as often as I cry at Grey's Anatomy and a little more often than I cry at 16 and Pregnant), but this was a particularly solid display of tears. When Bill Clinton and Euna Lee hugged, shit really hit the fan. What a wonderful wonderful red-nosed man.

Following that rather inspirational and emotional morning, I picked up the AM New York (I swear I only get it for the crossword) and decided to skim through the horoscopes. I normally think that people who take their horoscopes seriously are about as bright as Katherine Heigl, but today's Leo needs to be noted: "Someone has an unrealistic dream. Should you encourage this? Of course. All dreams are realistic until they are not."

Awwwwwwwuhhhh. I have decided I will do something productive with all this inspiration. Thus far, I have channeled it into browsing the shoe selection at UrbanOutfitters.com (but really. I should buy these, right?), trying to make reservations for birthday dinners this weekend (yes dinners plural. I am going to milk turning legal for all its worth), and deciding which award-winning book I plan on reading next (The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay was phenomenal. Exquisite. I cried on several occasions. Maybe I should consider birth control pills with less estrogen).

After two hours of internet perusing and money wasting, I came upon the website for Urban Escapes. I've been meaning to do an Urban Escapes trip all summer--unfortunately, full time 12 week internships leave little time for one to get out of the city for more than a weekend, and save for a weekend or two at the cousins in Jersey, a short trip to Long Beach Island and an even shorter one to the Hamptons, I've been NY-bubble-encased all summer. I suppose one can't complain after a four month 19 city whirlwind Eurotrip-- it's nice to be grounded for a while, but I've been itching to get out of the city and do something awesome. Since I go back to school a week after the end of my internship, space for awesomeness is limited--I planned to squeeze in a few more LBI days and nothing else until I came upon this.

Rachel and I had been perusing the Urban Escapes trips casually all summer, and I have made up my mind that I am going on one. I have wanted to go skydiving for a couple of years now and have always made half-assed flaky plans with my friends to do so. This trip looks great. Skydiving, snacks, and new friends. What could be better? The free periodical forced upon me by little Hispanic ladies, in combination with our adulterous and adorable ex-president has inspired me and I am finally going. Who's with me?

If I fail at being a badass (I'm giving myself a 50/50 chance of success here), does anyone want to go wine tasting and river tubing?

Edit: In case anyone needed further inspiration to jump out of a plane with me, it's SHARK WEEK. You know how they say "Live every week like it's shark week?" What more encouragement do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment