Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thing of the Day: Time


It is the last day of my internship, and I'd like to think that the threatening grey rain clouds precariously waiting to burst with rain are the result of my coworkers weeping for my departure, rather than a byproduct of global warming and yellowcab fumes. It's bittersweet, as all ends are (except the end of the Harry Potter/Sex and the City series. That was just bitter. Do I talk about Harry Potter/television too much?), but I'm glad to be celebrating my last day with a delicious meal with my coworkers, and happy hour and the best pizza in New York with one of my favorite humans and avid blog readers, Lauren. The end of my internship makes me realize that summer will end in one short week and my senior year of college will begin in two.

I'm really confused about how this happened. I am the first to admit that I have a denial issue, I can block out any bad memories on a whim, repress anything I am not looking forward to, and occasionally ask my parents for money with the excuse "but Mommmmm, I'm still a teenager," ("No Neekee. You are not. You are an adult who has to LEARN TO LIVE WITH THE REEPREECUSSIONS OF YOUR DEECEESIONS. Here is $100 dollars. Make it last all year")--but for real, how is my semester in Europe over? How has May faded into August? And when oh when did graduating from high school turn into senior year of college?
Tuesday night at dinner, my friend Inna and I played a game in which we grouped all of the friends we had gone to high school with and still keep in touch with/Facebook stalk into the categories of "Doing Well" and "Not Doing Well." The majority of our friends/acquaintances/people of existence in the internet realm fell neatly into the "Doing Well" category, with jobs, boyfriends, opportunities and general life happiness. A handful of people teetered between "Doing Well" and "Not Doing Well" in the "Getting By" bin, which I suppose in your twenty-somethings (I'm a twenty-something?!?!) is perfectly respectable, and a few had dove headfirst into "Not Doing Well" (This included: Britney-shaved-head-friends, drug-issue friends, sent-to-reform-school-friends, and got-really-fat friends). I guess I can consider myself lucky to be within the "Doing Well" category--I certainly have changed for the better since high school, and hope to continue to do so, but it was a bizarre experience to look back on high school and have had enough time pass in order for us to make such generalizations.

I feel old, man. And to feel younger I think I am going to watch this wonderful video all day. To my Vanderbilt homies--click that. Hilarious.

Happy SENIOR year of college!

No comments:

Post a Comment