Monday, August 10, 2009

Thing of the Day: Birthdays


I really like this picture, and would definitely like to meet this guy if ever I made it to NYC speed dating...but that aside:

I am 21 (!!!!!) Technically, I have been 21 ever since I was about 17, but now I am legally and fully and finally 21 (despite bouncers, bartenders, and waiters having failed to ask me for proof of this since I turned it on Saturday). I had the best birthday weekend I could possibly imagine, starting with a cool (albeit debacle-infused) LMFAO concert (for those who don't know LFMAO, they sound a little bit like Girl Talk meets Shwayze--in other words, great) and some casual drinking on a boat on Thursday, progressing to a much needed day off and subsequent shopping (enter oxfords, cage heels, and little summer dresses), followed by the most awesome birthday party ever ever ever (hi, friends who cook me dinner, supply my party guests with cheeses and dips and crackers, bake me cakes from scratch or buy them from delicious cupcake eateries and provide bottle after bottle of vodka, wine and champagne) on Friday, peaking at a phenomenal dinner with my parents at Tom Colicchio's Craft and a late night of casual wine-sipping with my favorite people at beautiful B-Bar and our go-to-live-music-cheap-drink venue, Red Lion on Saturday, and ending with a dinner party full of crazy/beautiful Russian family friends and relatives actively encouraging me to take shots of Grey Goose at 5pm on a Sunday afternoon (I politely declined) and beyond-words awesome Sunday night HBO. Longest run on sentence ever but--True Blood. What. The. Hell.

This week is going to be excellent for a number of reasons, which I will list here:

1)It is the last week of my internship. I learned so much this summer and was so glad to have gotten this opportunity but I can't wait to lay on the beach and do absolutely nothing but eat, tan, sleep and shop for 10 days.
2)Shakespeare in the Park starts again tomorrow. I can't wait to try to see The Bacchae. Dionysus is kind of an asshole. For more reasons why, please refer to last nights' True Blood.
3)Sex and the City at Hudson River Flicks on Wednesday
4)End of summer sales. NYC End of summer sales are phenomenal, and I am on the lookout for a jumper, a (new) perfect purse, ripped leggings, oxford flats, boyfriend jeans and new sunglasses.
5)Emiliana Torrini & Anya Maria at the Highline Ballroom on Friday. I kind of hate the Highline Ballroom, but I fully love indie chicks with guitars.
6)Possible trips to Long Island. I love the LIRR (trains with cushioned seats and bathrooms > trains with little Hispanic boys who sit next to you and ask if they can "listen to yo Ipod wichu, miss...just one headphone, cmon!"), and the friends on the other side of it.
7)Everyone Hates Katherine Heigl. There are actually 71,600 Google hits for the search terms "Everyone+Hates+Katherine+Heigl." The one I was really looking for was one I read earlier today, which was this.
8)On that note, there are 362 Google hits for me. Considering that I have never actually done anything of note and there is no chance there is another Nikki Bogo on the planet (Seriously. None. I once tried to Facebook all the people with my last name and got my cousin, my sister,and a girl named Natasha who goes to Claremont McKenna that I now sometimes exhange "are we related" and "how are you" messages with), that's pretty impressive.
9)Reservations at Le Cirque.
10)I can't really think of a 10th reason, but odd numbered lists bother me unless they are in increments of 5, so I will say the fact that the Yankees won last night, despite the fact that I consider myself much more of an aesthete than athlete and that I asked my friend Julie what the term "sweep" meant today because I was confused by happy New Yorkers' Facebook statii.

No comments:

Post a Comment