Friday, June 5, 2009

Thing Of The Day: Blogs




Several months ago, inspired by my lovely friend Stacy/Sloane, I decided I absolutely positively had to start a blog. I excitedly signed up for Blogspot, chose a moderately clever name, and since I was living in Copenhagen at the time, decided to start writing about my travels and the cultural differences i encountered in Scandinavia.

I put the link to the blog on my Facebook, posted a total of seven times about my drinking experiences in Europe, and shortly received a concerned and appalled email from my mom. It read as follows:

Privet, Kuzik ("Hi muffin" in Russian),

Nu kak u tebya delishki ("How are things?")? Did you get your grades for the midterm? I heard from Galina that you are going to Prague this weekend? Good for you! Enjoy your time in Europe and see as many places as you can see. This is your life time opportunity to see Europe.

Now on a very serious topic, and you might get mad, but I think I need to talk to you about that. Ira (my aunt) read your blog (an I think you could've send a link to it to me too), and it said that you left your wallet in the bar because you were too drunk! It is not good… I told you to start counting signs that you are developing an alcohol addiction. Now it might seems that all of them are funny anecdotes and you will be in denial at first, but look closely. The bruises that I saw on you, origin of which is unknown to you, forgotten wallet, and probably a lot of other facts that I don’t know. You get me worried. You get drunk more easily, and lower tolerance is one of the symptoms. You should not drink so eagerly and so much. I personally knew women who drunk often in their 20s and at first they were ok, and were dead by their 30s. And I also knew a woman who started drinking heavily in her 30s and in 5 years became a low class prostitute. And I personally know many less dramatic but still very bad examples, like ______'s mom. I want you to reconsider your drinking habits.

How is your new boy? What phase your relationship are on now?

I love you and miss you!

-mom

Alas, my life as a blogger ended and my life as an alcoholic began. This time will be different, for several reasons:

1. I will ensure that my mom does not get ahold of this URL. Perhaps I preemptively will block in on her computer to be positive this will be the case.
2. I am home in New York for the summer, and working a full time internship for a legitimate adult company, thus I am going out about 5 days per week less than I did last semester. Since I will not spend the vast majority of my time drunk/hungover and instead will spend it sober at a computer, I will have far more time to blog.
3. I am setting rules. The title of this blog, the daily, implies that I will be posting daily. Clearly this is too much to ask, and I will set the very reasonable guideline of five days per week. Additionally, this blog has a theme. I will be posting about the Thing of the Day. These Things will range from news pieces, to anecdotes, to physical things: clothing, accessories, electronics, decor, etc. I will also occasionally be highlighting actual blogs as Things of the Day. Shit might get crazy. Well see. So after much delay:


Friday, June 4th's thing of the day is weblogs. How genius! Ever since I acquired a full time internship, I've really come to appreciate blogs. I am reminded of that feeling when you have had a really shitty/really awesome day and all you want to do on your way home is tap the person sitting next to you on the shoulder and tell them all about it. Blogging is like that, but you get to tap ANYONE. And if they decide they don't give a crap, instead of telling you to f off, they will simply say the words to their computer screen and go back to Facebook stalking their ex boyfriend's little sister's best friend's cousin.

Here's to blogs. A few I'm currently following:

Today's Big Thing (inspiration for this blog)

Cupcakes and Cashmere (this girl has the best clotheeessss)

Swank Heights (her too)

The Daily Beast Cheat Sheet (the best way to read the news)

MoneSplye (my two Fratty Mcfrat friends traveling through Europe. Hi-lar-ious.

The Prose of Krose (my co-intern/Elle Woods twin's musings on sales and happy hours)

Perez Hilton (duh).

Back tomorrow with a considerably shorter Thing of the Day. Happy Friday. Time to party. If you're reading this, mom, time to party in moderation.

1 comment: