Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thing of the Day: Craigslist




Despite all of the negative hype recently about Craigslist (first the "Craigslist Killer" and now the Baby Thief), I've gotta say, I remain a huge fan of the site. This post comes in celebration of the fantastic sublet of a fabulous party pad to crash in with my visitor next week. Since I am making some well deserved mon-ay this summer at my internship, I decided to spare my visiting friend the commute to Brooklyn and long Russian style dinners with my family (Margarita and Felix of "you have a drinking problem" fame), and rather than getting a shitty hotel room (hotel prices in Manhattan are absurd!), found a perfect East Village studio to sublet. I'm looking forward to having friends over to the temporary place...granted that the several hundred dollars I just forked over on PayPal actually go towards an apartment, and not into the pockets of some Craigslist scammer.

In addition to providing me with a party pad, Craigslist always proves an excellent procrastination tool at work. My favorite is the missed connections section--the picture above is a pie chart of locations of NYC missed connections.

A few gems from today:

M2M: Very Cute Very Fat Young Boy on Uptown 6 this morning - m4m - 48 (23rd St Station)


M2W: Blinds left open! - m4w - 37

M2W: Guy who made fun of the fake homeless donations collector on the 4 - m4w - 28 (Financial District)


Last summer, I could have sworn I saw something about myself on there (M2W: 6PM Downtown N Train...you were wearing a red dress, reading The New Yorker and laughing out loud at a message you had received on your BlackBerry). When I told my fellow missed connections reader Emma about this, she flashed me a dirty look and informed me that I was one of the most self centered people she knew.

Factual, but a girl can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment